Stop Internet Censorship

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Edward Ludlow Norris - Adele Irene Barthelme - marriage - 2 Jun 1897

Using the names of the mother and father from my grandfather's birth certificate, I was able to locate the marriage record for my great-grandparents. I'm going to attempt to post this image. If it disappears like the one from the previous post, I will have to discontinue posting until I can figure out why Blogger doesn't play nicely with Picasa.

New York, New York County, New York City Municipal Archives, Manhattan marriage certificate no. 1897-8401, "Edward Ludlow Norris & Adele Irene Barthelme,".


When I found this, I felt like I had hit paydirt. It had an age for my great-grandfather (26). It had the name of his father (Joseph S. Norris) and the name of his mother (Henrietta Chilson). It had a birthplace (Sullivan County, NY). It also had a great deal of information about my great-grandmother and her family, but that is a story for another day.

Using the information I had gathered about my great-grandfather, my next steps were:

  1. Find the death record for Edward Ludlow Norris in New York County, NY. My grandfather said that his father died when he was six, so I'll look for a death certificate in the 1905 - 1907 range, moving further out if needed.
  2. Find a birth record for Edward Ludlow Norris in approximately 1870 or 1871 in Sullivan County, NY.
  3. Find Edward, Joseph, and Henrietta Norris in the 1880 Federal Census for Sullivan or New York County, NY.
  4. Find Joseph and Henrietta Norris in the 1870 Federal Census for Sullivan County, NY. Based on his age, it was possible that Edward was alive then, but it wasn't certain. Since Edward was born in Sullivan County in 1870 or 1871, I figured it was likely his parents were married and living in Sullivan County in 1870.
  5. Find Joseph Norris and Henrietta Chilson in the 1860 Federal Census for Sullivan County, NY.
  6. Find Joseph Norris and Henrietta Chilson in the 1850 Federal Census for Sullivan County, NY.
  7. Find a death certificate for Joseph Norris in Sullivan or New York County, NY.
  8. Find a death certificate for Henrietta Norris in Sullivan or New York County, NY.
This marriage certificate is what got me hooked on genealogy. The thrill of the chase. Solving a puzzle. Analyzing the information gathered, and determining next steps. [NOTE: I added item #1 to the list on 21 Aug 2011 when I realized I'd left it off.]

No comments: